Friday, March 7, 2008

An Introduction

Hola Amigos,

If you can remember my last trip to South America, you may recall that it was well-documented in the form of mass e-mails. These correspondences were chock-a-block full of stories (cuentitos) ranging from my first encounter with a majestic herd of alpaca to that time Robin Wertheim got squirted in the face by a bidet. Well...things are gonna be a little different this time around. Instead of e-mailing, I am going to blog! So, now I can tell even more fun cuentitos and you all can read to your hearts´ content.

So here are the basics of my trip:

I am in Chile from March 2keight to January 2k-9, on a Fulbright English Teaching Assistantship grant. I will be an "assistant professor" at the Universidad Austral in Valdivia, Chile...a rainy little hamlet in which giant sea lions roam the streets. How big is giant? Let´s put it this way...they weigh more than Jesus. Before I descend into the deluvian depths of the Chilean south, however, I am studying at a Spanish school in Santiago for a couple of weeks. I have this uneasy feeling that I might be the only Fulbrighter who doesn´t speak Spanish fluently. I mean, don´t get me wrong; I speak in cognates really good and possess a top-notch Mexican accent, but we´ll see how far that gets me in this country.

As always, I would love to hear from all of you, so please leave comments or send e-mails. I´ll do my best to keep in touch, and I´ll write back with personalized emails from time to time. Be prepared for some skyping also!

So to begin with, I´m in a bit of a blogging backlog. Alot has happened this first week, and I haven´t had much time to write. First off, there will be a flashback entry to pre-trip and then I´ll get everything up to speed.

Un Abrazo,
Miguey Levenbueno

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Mikey!

As Sarah (aunt, as opposed to uncle) and I dutifully use our Saturday night to accomplish many acadmemic feats, I pause to read her exerpts from your blog and (of course) dinosaur comics.

Mona was worried about you but is glad to know that you are safe. She sends her love (meow) and so do we!!!

Aunt Doe said...

Michael,

I am happy to here you are doing wwll. Everything is good here. We had 60 degrees and sunny on Friday, and woke up to snow showers on Saturday morning. That is Georgia weather for you. I am happy to hear you are getting over your fear of flying. There will be no stopping you know. I say you become a travel magazine writer. It's a great way to see the world. Anyway thanks for the Blog. Oh yeah down 2 how about you?
Love
Aunt Doe

Tim said...

I might have to kief that name mcfreak

Unknown said...

Mikey-head!

I couldn't sleep the other night and relied on my old standby: the rosetta stone. Never fails.

Man oh man I hope honey-pot leveuaux made the packing list. If not, you must aquire a new dino soon.

Thank god you can fly now, meaning that you can come visit me and puryear in Ghana when the roaming sea lions chase you away from your hamlet!

can't wait to keep up with your adventures via bloggggggggg!

love,
katieo

lyd said...

I'm so excited for ya! And love the name of the blog.......keep your amiga posted. and please let me know if Koookeeees are as good as we remember :)